Dr. Youakim Badr is an Associate Professor of Data Analytics at the Pennsylvania State University – Great Valley. He received his Master’s degree in “Mathematical Modeling and Scientific Software Engineering” from the Francophone University Agency in 1997. He earned his Ph.D. in computer science from the National Institute of Applied Sciences (INSA-Lyon) in 2003.
Over the course of his research, Dr. Badr has worked extensively in the area of service computing (distributed systems) and information security to design and deploy adaptable and reusable“smart connected devices” and build “smart service systems” for the Internet of Things. In addition, he conducts research activities on the integration of data analytic capabilities at the edge of the Internet of Things (Edge Machine Learning) and into connected devices (Built-in analytics) to make the Internet of Things smarter from the flood of data generated by connected devices.
By leveraging his research activities built around service computing and smart services for the Internet of Things (IoT), his current research strategy aims at developing new chain of data analytical models and tools and platforms for designing and deploying “Trustworthy AI Service Systems.” To this end, he is investigating a multidisciplinary and systematic approach, integrating AI, IoT and Blockchains and focusing on the following research areas:
- AI-based Service Systems
- Blockchains and AI-based Services
- Trustworthiness and AI Systems
In recognition of his research activities, he received several awards, in particular:
- 2020-2021 Award for Faculty Service, Penn State Great Valley School of Graduate Professional Studies
- 2019-2020 Arthur L. Glenn Award for Faculty Innovation, Penn State Great Valley School of Graduate Professional Studies
- 2014 Research and Doctoral Supervision Award, French Ministry of High Education and Research
- 2010 Recipient of Research Excellence Award, French Ministry of High Education and Research